Maximize the effectiveness of your application
Make the most effective resumes and cover letters by customizing the options to fit exactly your needs and style.
When editing either a resume or cover letter
- The default text and margin sizes are optimized for viewing online. If you will be downloading a PDF, we recommend adjusting them so that your information takes up as close to exactly one page as possible (ideally without going over).
- Choose whichever template you like the most, but make sure it's appropriate for the job for which you're applying. Use the
Classictemplate for traditional jobs or if you're not sure.
- Color can make your resume stand out. However, if you'll be printing off a PDF of your resume without a color printer, make sure you choose the Black option in
Colorto ensure your print is clear.
When editing a resume
- You can add an Objective Statement by clicking the toggle at the bottom of the editing toolbar labeled
- Rearrange full resume sections into new locations by dragging the handle to the left of the section header.
- After your work and education, order the sections by the amount of content you're using and how pertinent the items are to the job for which you're applying.
- You can rename the sections by clicking on their current names.
- After updating the text click out of the text box and your changes will automatically save.
- You can change the name of your resume by clicking on its current name and making changes.
- When you click out of the text box your changes will automatically save.
When editing a cover letter
- When you first link a resume and cover letter you may be prompted to sync their styles, we recommend you do!
- However, if you update the styles in one of those documents afterward, it won't be synced to the other so make sure to update both.
- You can adjust the text alignment in a cover letter by clicking on the
Justify Paragraphstoggle at the bottom of the editing toolbar.
- Your paragraphs are imported in the order based on their type (openers first, signatures last for example).
- You can rearrange your cover letter's paragraphs by dragging the drag handle to the left of the first line of the paragraph.